Problems with balance and gait can stop you from moving through life with confidence. You may have trouble walking, feel unsteady or be unable to do the activities that bring enjoyment to your life.
PoNS Treatment™ Mechanism of Action
About PoNS Treatment™
PoNS™ (short for Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator) is an innovative, non-surgical medical device that gently stimulates the surface of the tongue, exciting the neural network flowing to the brain. This neural activity is believed to enable neuroplasticity, which may restore lost function. In conjunction with targeted therapeutic activities, the PoNS™ has the potential to restore:
- Balance in individuals with chronic balance deficit due to a mild or moderate traumatic brain injury or concussion.
- Gait in individuals with gait deficit due to mild to moderate symptoms of multiple sclerosis.
PoNS Treatment™ Overview
PoNS Treatment™ is a comprehensive 14-week program that combines in-clinic and in-home use of the PoNS™ device guided by a Certified PoNS™ Trainer.
Following your initial consultations, you will participate in a series of assessments to set a baseline, so you and your Certified PoNS™ Trainer can measure your progress throughout PoNS Treatment™. Assessments may evaluate functions related to balance, gait, walking speed, dexterity, strength and mobility, as well as cognitive measures, sleep quality and headache incidence.
Weeks One and Two: In-Clinic Appointments
For the first two weeks of treatment, you will work with your Certified PoNS™ Trainer one-on-one. Your Trainer will design a PoNS Treatment™ program tailored to your individual needs. Therapeutic activities with PoNS™ may include:
- Balance training
- Gait training
- Breathing and awareness
- Other neuro-rehabilitative exercises
Weeks Three to Fourteen: In-Home Training Sessions
During weeks three to fourteen, you will continue with your customized program at home and schedule weekly clinic visits. Your Certified PoNS™ Trainer will monitor your progress and make further adjustments to your program as needed.
- Additional progress assessments are completed after weeks four and eight.
- Upon completion of the fourteen-week PoNS Treatment™, you will undergo a final, comprehensive assessment and review your overall progress with your Certified PoNS™ Trainer.
To get started, contact us to schedule a 15-minute complimentary telephone call with a Certified PoNS™ Trainer.